What are some common shoplifting prevention strategies?
7 Easy-to-Implement Tips to Prevent Shoplifting
- Be aware of at-risk items.
- Train your staff to watch for theft.
- Publicize the consequences of stealing.
- Pay attention to dressing rooms.
- Engage with customers.
- Schedule appropriately.
- Install cameras and mirrors.
What methods do shoplifters use?
One of the most common techniques used by shoplifters to remove goods from a store is to conceal items within their clothing, purses, backpacks, strollers, umbrellas, and other personal items. Shoplifters also may hide an item within the package of another item in order to only be charged for one.
What are the 4 ways a retailer can deter shoplifting?
4 Ways to Deter Shoplifters
- Train Employees to Detect Suspicious Behavior. The best way to stop shoplifting is to employ dedicated and observant employees trained to identify suspicious behavior.
- Create a Protocol.
- Optimize Store Layout.
- Invest in a Video Surveillance System.
What are the 7 types of shoplifters?
The seven types of shoplifters:
- Addictive Compulsive.
What are the best deterrent to shoplifting?
Electronic article surveillance often acts a deterrent to shoplifters. Security Personnel: Perhaps one of the best methods of preventing shoplifting is to employ a security staff. Security personnel are trained to monitor customers and are equipped to handle a shoplifting situation, should it arise.
What are three signs of a potential shoplifter?
Other tell-tale signs of shoplifters include:
- Wearing large coats or baggy clothes.
- Avoiding eye contact.
- Watching the staff, not the merchandise.
- Seeking shelter in dressing rooms to stash smuggled merchandise.
- Lurking in corners.
- Taking advantage of stores during peak hours.
What are professional shoplifters?
The professional shoplifter dresses, talks and acts so he doesn’t attract attention or arouse suspicion. He is usually interested in a small, high-value items for which there is an easy resale market. Generally the professional steals for a living.
How do I protect my shoplifting store?
10 effective ways to prevent shoplifting in your retail store:
- Keep your store organized and tidy.
- Know common shoplifting tactics.
- Optimize your store’s layout.
- Install security cameras.
- Add mirrors to your store.
- Use customer service as prevention.
- Use signage to deter thieves.
- Train your employees.
Do stores track down shoplifters?
How Do Stores Track Down Shoplifters? Many locally-owned stores use social media to track down shoplifters. They post images from their security footage and ask the community for help identifying the suspect. These methods can be used to find shoplifters long after they have left store property.
How can I get better at shoplifting?
- A large open bag is a common shoplifter tool.
- Women sometimes use purses to hide stolen items.
- The best prevention in these cases is to watch the customers very carefully.
- The baby carriage or stroller is a great tool for shoplifters.
- A newspaper can be used to hide small objects.
Can a store search my bag?
Yes, as long as the procedure is voluntary. The bag inspection should occur past the last point of payment solely for the purpose of verifying the sales transaction that just occurred. The door bag checker is looking to see that the cashier correctly charged for all items in the shopping bag or cart.
Can you get caught shoplifting months after?
If you made it out of the store undetected, then it is extremely unlikely that you will be arrested. But if they have recorded proof of you taking the item, identify you on a surveillance video, and somehow find your name, then they can charge you days, weeks, or months later for a crime committed in the past.
What’s the best way to stop shoplifting in a store?
Grab and run: Some shoplifters wait for an opportune moment — perhaps during a busy period, or when all sales staff appear to be busy — to dash into your store and run off quickly with items. This is more common in stores that don’t have security guards or don’t have anti-theft alarms placed at the entrance.
What is a booster bag used for shoplifting?
A booster bag is a device used for shoplifting to bypass security towers or other security features. It is a typical bag; a purse, a backpack, etc. that is lined with material that blocks the magnetic signals security tags send to the towers, essentially silencing them from going off. Common booster bag materials are foil and Faraday material.
What to look for in a shoplifting suspect?
Watch for clusters of cues in context. Look for physical cues, such as large opaque shopping bags, and behavioral cues, such as how close someone is standing to a high-theft item, in clusters and in context.
How big is a golf detacher for shoplifting?
Golf detachers are specialized, very strong magnets that are designed for the application and removal of security tags. They come in 2 different strengths: 12000 gs and 16000 gs. 16000 is the stronger option, and it is a favorite of the shoplifting community. Golf detachers are large, and are about the size of your palm.