What are some phrases used for argument?
Transition Words useful for Argument Writing
|To show…||Words/Expressions to Use|
|Cause and Effect||Accordingly, consequently, hence, so, therefore, thus|
|Additional Support or Evidence||Additionally, again, also, and, as well, besides, equally important, further, furthermore, in addition, moreover, then|
What is a good starting sentence for an argumentative essay?
Start with a hook or attention getting sentence. Briefly summarize the texts • State your claim. Make sure you are restating the prompt. Include a topic sentence that restates your claim and your reason.
How do you start off an argumentative essay?
In the first paragraph of an argument essay, students should set the context by reviewing the topic in a general way. Next the author should explain why the topic is important (exigence) or why readers should care about the issue. Lastly, students should present the thesis statement.
What phrases to use in a essay?
17 academic words and phrases to use in your essay
- Firstly, secondly, thirdly.
- In view of; in light of; considering.
- According to X; X stated that; referring to the views of X.
- Moreover; furthermore; in addition; what’s more.
- In order to; to that end; to this end.
What are phrases with examples?
A phrase is a group of words that express a concept and is used as a unit within a sentence….Here are examples:
- He was waiting for the rain to stop.
- She was upset when it didn’t boil.
- You have been sleeping for a long time.
- You might enjoy a massage.
- He was eager to eat dinner.
How do you start a counter argument paragraph?
In your paragraph:
- Identify the opposing argument.
- Respond to it by discussing the reasons the argument is incomplete, weak, unsound, or illogical.
- Provide examples or evidence to show why the opposing argument is unsound, or provide explanations of how the opposing argument is incomplete or illogical.
What is a good sentence starter?
Some words are indeed notable for being good sentence starters. The list will include the following: although, I would like to, first, meanwhile, therefore, subsequently, while, I would like to, moreover, in general, in addition, furthermore.
What can I say instead of I in an essay?
Ways of Avoiding Pronouns “I”, “You” and “We” in an Essay. You can replace the pronouns ‘I’, ‘You’, and ‘We’ by replacing them with acceptable wording, applying passive voice instead of pronouns, Using a third-person perspective, adopting an objective language, and including strong verbs and adjectives.
What is an example of phrase in a sentence?
phrase is a group of words that work together to make meaning, but it is not a complete sentence. In other words, it does not have both a subject and a verb. Example of phrases put together in a sentence: The brown hat was blowing away in the wind.
What is counterargument example?
A counterargument is to present evidence for the emphasis to be placed on prevention, instead of continuation of the cycle: bully then punish. 3. A child may argue for a dog. The parents remind the child his sister is allergic to dogs.